Snow tires, or winter tires, are a necessary add-on for your automobile, especially if you live in an area where you consistently see temperatures dropping around or below freezing (~32 Fahrenheit) for an extended time. Winter tires are excellent in retaining proper grip on the road and provide better traction through snow and ice. They are made with special, softer rubber and a unique tread design, which gives them this advantage. If you find that your tires are having difficulty making contact with the road this winter, you should consider swapping out your tires for winter tires.
Why Do You Need Winter Tires?
Winter tires can improve a vehicle's ability to accelerate, brake, and steer, even when cold and dry weather. They provide more safety than the typical all-season tires during the colder months. Below are some key characteristics of winter tires that can benefit you.
- Soft Rubber: The rubber on snow tires remain flexible, no matter the weather, which allows the tire to grip the road more effectively. In contrast, all-season tires tend to stiffen up in the cold, reducing traction.
- Tread Pattern & Depth: These tires have a more pronounced tread depth and a unique pattern to help your car get through deep layers of snow.
Winter Tire Benefits
There are many advantages of installing snow tires this season:
- Resistant to Cold Temperatures: Snow tires are flexible even in sub-zero conditions.
- Traction: A deeper tread pattern allows you to maintain a proper grip on the road.
- Effective Braking: Winter tires have better stopping distances compared to regular tires. There's less likely a chance that you would skid on cold, slippery surfaces. Furthermore, they can prevent hydroplaning, as they can filter out water effectively as well.
If you're interested in installing new tires for the winter in Ira Township, MI, look no further than the tire experts at Auto DR. We provide a wide range of tire services, including tire rotations, balancing, alignment, and installations.